Resolutions submitted at the Toronto Diocesan Conventions:
The following resolutions were presented and adopted on Friday, May 6 at our 2016 Toronto Diocesan Convention:
We thank St. John Chrysostom Council (North York region) for submitting the resolution.
We thank St. John the Evangelist Council (Durham region) for submitting the resolution.
HOW TO GET A RESOLUTION STARTED!
A resolution is basically a motion or a formal way of introducing new business with the purpose of presenting our concerns or recommendations. A resolution is used to educate, inform, or establish new policy and it usually asks for action of some kind.
Ideas for resolutions can be found every where:
- Awareness of issues from personal experience
- Ideas may come from the media; local and national newspapers, magazines, the internet, radio etc.
- Through brainstorming session with others
Once you have an idea, take these initial steps:
- First Check - check to make sure the CWL hasn’t already done a resolution on your topic
- Share - Share your idea with others. Speak to your parish president and ask to have the topic put on the next meeting’s agenda.
- Form a committee - Ask other ladies with same minded concerns to help. You don’t need a huge committee but try to get at least 2 or 3 to join you.
- Get the Facts – gather the supporting material. Research your topics using all available resources. Use the internet, the library, people resources etc.
- Decide - Decide on a title for your resolution as this will help you decide what outcome you hope to accomplish from your resolution.
- Draft - Create your first draft starting with the resolved clauses first and working your way back up to the whereas clause.
Three Basic Parts of a Resolution
- WHEREAS - The reason why you want this
- RESOLVED - Determines what action you want as an outcome.
- THE BRIEF – The supporting information or argument to convince your audience to adopt this resolution.
- National Manual of Policy and Procedure
- Executive Handbook
- The Canadian League Magazine
- National Standing Chair Communiqués
- Previous Toronto Diocesan Council Resolutions click here for the list of titles
- Information available through www.cwl.ca and www.cwl.on.ca
- Resolutions Checklist click here
- Resolution Flow Chart click here