Resolutions submitted at the Toronto Diocesan Conventions:
The following resolution was presented and adopted on Friday, May 5th at our 2017 Toronto Diocesan Convention:
TDC2017.01 Grant GST Zero-Rated Status to All Child Safety Products Listed In The Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA)
We thank St. John Chrysostom Council (North York Region) for submitting this resolution.
HOW TO GET A RESOLUTION STARTED!
A resolution is basically a motion or a formal way of introducing new business with the purpose of presenting our concerns or recommendations. A resolution is used to educate, inform, or establish new policy and it usually asks for action of some kind.
Ideas for resolutions can be found every where:
- Awareness of issues from personal experience
- Ideas may come from the media; local and national newspapers, magazines, the internet, radio etc.
- Through brainstorming session with others
Once you have an idea, take these initial steps:
- First Check - check to make sure the CWL hasn’t already done a resolution on your topic
- Share - Share your idea with others. Speak to your parish president and ask to have the topic put on the next meeting’s agenda.
- Form a committee - Ask other ladies with same minded concerns to help. You don’t need a huge committee but try to get at least 2 or 3 to join you.
- Get the Facts – gather the supporting material. Research your topics using all available resources. Use the internet, the library, people resources etc.
- Decide - Decide on a title for your resolution as this will help you decide what outcome you hope to accomplish from your resolution.
- Draft - Create your first draft starting with the resolved clauses first and working your way back up to the whereas clause.
Three Basic Parts of a Resolution
- WHEREAS - The reason why you want this
- RESOLVED - Determines what action you want as an outcome.
- THE BRIEF – The supporting information or argument to convince your audience to adopt this resolution.
- National Manual of Policy and Procedure
- Executive Handbook
- The Canadian League Magazine
- National Standing Chair Communiqués
- Previous Toronto Diocesan Council Resolutions click here for the list of titles
- Information available through www.cwl.ca and www.cwl.on.ca
- Resolutions Checklist click here
- Resolution Flow Chart click here